My cycle day 26 follicle scan was this morning and the news was not as bad as I was expecting, but it wasn't good either. The largest follicle is still stubbornly refusing to grow past 11 mm. I am okay with that, it just seems par for the course for me. The thing that turned me into a bawling mess is much worse.
This morning my scan was done by a different nurse practitioner than I usually have. She seemed nice enough, that is, she seemed nice until we saw that I was still only at an 11. At that point she started talking about how I might not be a good candidate for an IUI and that the answer may be IVF. I lost it. I became a slobbering, nose running, red faced sobbing mess. So much for not crying, right? IVF really is not an option for us right now, considering what we just spent on the last two cycles. Also, if we can't get mature follicles for an IUI, how exactly are we going to get even more mature follicles for an IVF? Did she mean a donor IVF? Isn't it too soon to make that call after only two cycles when everything else checks out okay? As all that ran through my mind, I tuned the nurse out completely and decided that she wasn't so nice after all.
At this point, we could continue this cycle in hopes that we might see more growth, or we could cancel and move on to whatever next cycle brings. The nurse didn't want to make that decision without checking with the RE first, and he was in surgery. I am waiting for the phone call that will determine the fate of this cycle. I can't decide which result I am hoping for. On one hand, we have sunk so much money into this cycle, so I don't want to throw it away by cancelling. On the other hand, it is CD 26, and sinking more money into the cycle hoping for growth might be useless. I wish someone else could make the decision for me.