Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Babies and Infertility

My best friend is pregnant with her fifth child. My last girlfriend to not have kids, just delivered her first. Then there's me. Mark and I will celebrate our fifth anniversary in September and we are childless. We want kids. Desperately. It just hasn't worked out, and it doesn't look like it ever will.
As an electrician, Mark is in a career that he loves, and I would never take that away from him. Yet, the truth of the matter is that being an electrician is not that lucrative. He will probally top out at about $50,000 a year. I have dream of being a full-time homemaker, even though I currently work part time. The dilemma is that Mark will only rarely have health insurance coverage offered through employers, so fertility treatments are only a dream because of the cost issues. Adoption is also cost prohibitive, and we might not be able to adopt because of a stupid moment when Mark was younger that resulted in him having a very minor criminal history. That History also puts foster care out. We really don't have any other options and sometimes I think its killing me.
I could commit to working full time to finance an adoption (crimnal history allowing), or to pay for the fertility treatments. Yet at what cost? Our home still needs to be maintained and it is alot to do with us both working. I feel like our overall quality of life would decrease. Right now we are trying to elimante debt as fast as possible in an effort to get to a place financially where it might be possible, but....it's so hard to wait. Does anyone have the magic solution?

No comments: